Tuesday, July 1, 2008

China Cat Sunflower

Music.

It's just so amazing. A moment captured in a song, that can last forever and still send the same message at anytime, even in 1,000 years. I was thinking of this concept this morning, and i started skimming through and changing the virtual radio stations in my head to find a song i haven't heard in awhile, one that means alot to me, and one that i will hopefully have stuck in my head all day today.

Anyways, i thought of The Grateful Dead. I was first introduced to "the Dead" in high school, never really taking too much of a liking to them. I don't think i had given them too much chance, and maybe didn't hear the right albums, live sets. Then my first quarter of college, I came across their Europe '72 live album and i just couldn't let it go. To this day i've probably heard that particular one hundreds of times, and i love it because it really showcases them, Jerry Garcia, and the range of styles they have in a nutshell of a 2 CD set. They were very successful for decades, and one reason they were so popular was due to the innocent playfulness they had in their music, they were always having FUN. It showed everytime, starting with Jerry's huge smile, and the feeling their tunes conveyed.

Please do give it a listen, and peep the transition from "China Cat Sunflower" into "I Know You Rider", it soothes the soul.

Grateful Dead - 'China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider'






Music is the only thing that really makes me tick. It used to be sports, but after playing in college i hung my cleats up and now just play for fun. But music is the only thing that will always be there, a sort of guidance that, no matter what time or day, will sound just a sweet as it did the first time you heard it. It's amazing how you can hear a song, and instantly transport yourself back to that first time you experienced it, that exact time of your life and have that very feeling again! I get chills just thinking about it, and i know you feel me.

Lately, for whatever reason, I haven't come across too many new artists, types of music that have called my name. Maybe i haven't researched enough, or maybe its almost time for that next new sound to emerge? Either way, i can't wait to hear a song that inspires once again, for its been a minute. Got anything for me? Hit me please!

Nothing in the world can beat a sweet voice singing a sweet, sweet song.

And nothing beats the gift of a mixtape, or nowadays CD from a friend with music on it! I used to LOVE making these for my friends, even before house music for me, with a variety of music that i thought they might enjoy. So, that being said i'll be doing a podcast on here soon, just because there's so much music out there in the world, and never enough time =)

No comments: