Thursday, October 15, 2009

Who Hates The Beatles????


So as some of you may know, i recently got back from visiting some family in Spain a couple of weeks ago. While out there, i got to do some traveling and met some really cool, very interesting people from all over the world.

Of all of these people, one of them in particular sparked some of the most engaging conversations i had on the entire trip. She was from Manchester, and cracked me up with her brutal honesty and witty sarcasm. She was very intelligent and she loved music more than anything. Needless to say, we all talked for hours and hours.

After talking music for quite some time, having so much in common, she made a HARD LEFT and threw me off by saying one of the CRAZIEST things I have ever heard in my entire life:

"I hate The Beatles".

I'm sorry what did you say?

"I HATE The Beatles, I really do."

It took me awhile to let this sink in. I mean, I know people that don't care for The Beatles, or maybe only like a song or two, perhaps think they're overrated, whatever. That's cool. Shit, even if you simply don't like them, I get that. Maybe you have some weird story about when you were a kid, bla bla bla and they remind you of bla bla bla. I get that too. However, "HATE"? Really?

So, of course i had to know why. I asked her if she really "hated" them, as that is such a powerful word, but she iinsisted that she did, saying they were one of the worst things to ever happen in music. (i know right!?!?!?!?!?!)

Anyhow, i went on for ages trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with her. Bipolar? Schizo? Deaf???? It was the first, and probably last time in my life that i'd hear someone say that and truly believe it. I am still in shock.

All I can say is, I LOVE The Beatles, bitch!

And of course, just when you think it can't get much worse, she added that she HATED Radiohead.

God help us.

No comments: