Thursday, October 16, 2008

Let’s talk Swag!

By DJ Mes , Guesthouse/HAWT San Francisco

Swag - Promotional merchandise for a band, record label, or other entity in the music business, usually distributed at concerts or conferences.

Being part of underground culture for the past 15 some odd years I have collected numerous pieces of ‘swag’. Most of the items are worthless but there are a some that are nostalgic and hold a special place in my heart.

1. Plastic Man Acid Sheet [a perferated sheet of plascit man acid that came as an insert for the very first plastic man 001] A definiete collectros item and my favorite piece of SwagJ This is one of the first records I bought when I started off collecting dance music so it will allways remind me of the good old days!

2. Classic Music ‘Thanks for coming By’ record store sign [this went out to a few select accounts as part of a christmas package CMC sent to its fovorite record stores] Now that I don’t have a record store it makes a great addition to my bathroom doorJ I remember when it arrrived with a fresh batch of Classic 12 inches. This was back in 1997-1998 when daddys records was still in operation…sigh*


3. Paper Music T-Shirt [One of my favorite record labels ever!] For a while there i bought every paper music release on sight. It didn’t matter, if it was on paper music I had to grab it!

Whats your favorite piece of Underground culture swag?

Discuss:

3 comments:

eddieb said...

Nice blog Mes!

i too have collected random things throughout the years,

and like you said, for the most part they are worthless, but hold a special place in your heart...

i was once given a pair of limited edition Adidas slip mats for playing in their store. They aren't even really nice slip mats, but they DO have two different DOPE adidas screen prints on them so they look ill...

one time some guy offered me $100 bucks for my slipmats...

And soemthing a little more close to home. I have a special limited edition (isn't it all limited edition? lol)

SEASONS RECORDINGS BOOK. they printed these sick little books and gave them out years ago... still got mine in its original pouch.

HAWT Music said...

i'm a sports freak so i got tons and tons of sports swag. i think? wait what is swag again?

music-wise i only have this really cool Ben Harper matchbook i got at one of his Santa Barbara shows like 10 years ago

whoa!

Unknown said...

id really like some guesthouse and hawt swag ;)