Tuesday, June 24, 2008

My Morning Shake & Pop with the Cops

so I woke up this morning bright and early and decided to go to the gym and workout. I had a light snack and spent about 20 minutes loading new music to listen to while I got my sweat on. Anyway, Im ready to rock and hop out the door and I'm on my way......so I thought.

I start my car and get ready for my literally 2 minute drive down the way to workout, and throw on that led zepellin song that I been rockin lately to fire me up. I get out the driveway and to the stop sign fifty feet from my house and see a police car parked there, so being the safe driver I am, I make sure to stop for a good 5 to 7 seconds, making sure the oncoming cars pass first. So I make my left and on to the gym I go.

So, apparently I am doing something wrong here, was I being TOO cautious? The sherrif flips a bitch, right behind me with his lights on! All I'm thinking us you have gotta be shittin me! And he pulls my law-breaking, delinquent ass over.

Now, I'm no saint, I've had my share of tickets like the rest of us, but its been years and I'm always doing what I can to abide by driving laws. Anyhow, apparently this cop was training his new partner, because I felt like a crash test dummy the way they treated me! Of course, I didn't bring my wallet, as my gym I.D. is on my keys, but they still made me sit in the backseat of their cop car as they searched mine, repeatedly asking me why I don't signal when I turn and that its the law. Wow.

Not only that, they asked my age and assumed I'd said 88, and not 78 for my year of birth. In other words I am by far older than both of these guys.

So by this point I'm sitting in the backseat, wondering why I hadn't slept in or gone for a jog instead, and decide to go with the flow rather than be that guy and ask them how bored they must obviously be to hassle me, or ask them if they pulled me over due to my shaved head, or if they didn't have better things to do like catch people speeding, or if the donut shop was closed today, or why I needed to signal so badly if there was nobody around, etc.

So I start chit chatting with these kids, who didn't know the 2 head Sherriffs that i knew personally, obviously because they are rookies or something, and before I know it he's bro-ing out with me, asking how I like my gym, if I have the turbo vw, even what kinda music I play, to which it struck a nerve and he wanted to know when and where...

So I got a fix it ticket even though they coulda towed me and cuffed me, not having my license or insurance, and he told me to enjoy my workout, apparently saying I could carry on with my day..

wow!

So moral of the story?

One, always signal when turning! In fact do all obvious things no matter how close to home you may be.

Two, always be cool with cops, never try to prove your point, as they probably already pulled you over and don't like it when you smartass with them.

Three, once in that situation, deal with it and admit you're wrong. In the past i have taken a different approach, and it has not worked. Instead of asking them why they pulled you over for no using your turn signal with nobody even around, say, "you're absolutely right officer! I dunno what I was thinking, I must have been so concerned ith my workout, blah blah blah"....

After all, they are just doing their job i guess. Just like we all gotta do ours, right?

I did think it as rather unnecessary to search my car, but i was also glad i didn't have anything in there i shouldn't have had ;)

SO there I go. My day is now starting after a run in with my cop buddies. So, if anyone meets an officer Pedroia or Mendez at the next HAWT event, you know how they got the info ;)












Tuesday morning, and if any of you don't have plans tonight, I highly suggest you go down to Focus for the 5 year Anniversary tonight with Green Velvet! I have never had the chance to see GV, although he has always been one of my all time favorite producers. I LOVE his originality, from beats to lyrics to the whole nine. If you don't know Green Velvet, you really should shake and pop your butt down there tonight!

No comments: